- Binance and The Weeknd collab on the first crypto-powered world tour
- Miami Fashion Weeks goes virtual in Decentraland
Gala Games’ Grit is bringing NFTs to the Epic Games Store
Epic Games, the video game publisher behind Fortnite, intends to list Web3 gaming company Gala Games’ wild west shooter GRIT as the first NFT-based game on the Epic Games Store.
A free-to-play online multiplayer game for Windows PC players, GRIT is set to launch later this year on Epic Games’ own Unreal Engine. It will also feature user-owned NFT (non-fungible token) assets that can be bought and sold within the game.
Gala Games recently committed $5 billion to expand its NFT offerings between gaming, music, movies and theme park NFTs. Among them: the Gala Music platform and the launch of the NFT esport platform Spider Tanks.
Monday marked the beginning of the three-day Galaverse event in Malta, during which Gala plans to put the “The Gunslinger Box” for sale and unlock one of 10,000 GRIT avatars.
Miami Fashion Week
The Decentraland metaverse hosted virtual events throughout Miami Fashion Week during the past few days. In conjunction with the physical shows that took place from May 31 to June 5, fashion shows with avatar models took over the Luxury Fashion District in Decentraland.
Attendees could buy virtual goods on the marketplace, while designers, models, stylists and photographers had access to a new NFT members fashion club, L’Atelier. Members could register for a whitelisting spot for “The Key” NFT, redeemable for physical and digital wearables.
Miami Fashion Week is the second event hosted on the Fashion Estate this year after Metaverse Fashion Week in March.
The Weeknd x Binance to go on tour
Last week, Binance announced it will sponsor its first global music tour: The Weeknd’s “After Hours Til Dawn” tour that begins in July. The crypto exchange intends to integrate Web3 technology “for fans to experience crypto within a creative avenue while supporting a good cause,” according to The Weeknd.
That good cause is the XO Humanitarian Fund, administered by World Food Program (WFP) USA and founded by the artist, who is also a United Nations WFP global goodwill ambassador. At the start of the tour, Binance will donate $2 million to the fund.
Five percent of sales of a NFT collection designed in collaboration with incubator HXOUSE will be donated to the fund as well. Concertgoers can also gain access to commemorative NFTs.
Top NFT drop announcements:
- Gap collaborated with the petaverse game DOGAMÍ for a July launch of digital Gap logo hoodies specifically designed for DOGAMÍ virtual pets. The Gap Threads marketplace and DOGAMÍ are both built on Tezos.
- The intellectual property of Warner Bros.’ Looney Tunes characters will soon be on sale on the Nifty NFT platform. The collection, “Looney Tunes: What’s Up Block?,” will start with Tweety Bird, who will turn 80 this year, and later feature Bugs Bunny and Marvin the Martian.
- Mariah Carey launched her first NFT on Geojam and designed it as a boarding pass. The winning bidder of the NFT will fly with Carey to New York and attend the ceremony with the artist, where she will be inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.
Get the day’s top crypto news and insights delivered to your inbox every evening. Subscribe to Blockworks’ free newsletter now.