Bitcoin-Focused Stronghold Digital Mining Files For $100M IPO

While the company is focused on bitcoin, it may utilize its miners for other crypto assets depending on market conditions.

article-image

Greg Beard, CEO and co-chairman of Stronghold

share

key takeaways

  • The company currently operates about 3,000 crypto-asset mining computers with hashrate capacity of about 100 petahash
  • In late June, the company fundraised $105 million from two private placements of equity securities and investors were granted registration rights that require a future public listing

Stronghold Digital Mining, a digital asset mining company powered by alternative energy, filed an S-1 form for an initial public offering with the US Securities and Exchange Commission on Tuesday. 

The company plans to raise up to $100 million and list its Class A common stock on the Nasdaq Global Market under the ticker $SDIG. The filing did not disclose the price per share.

Stronghold declined to comment directly about the S1-form or IPO, a spokesperson told Blockworks via email. 

“Our current focus is on mining bitcoin, which we may convert to USD to the extent necessary to fund our development,” the company said in the filing. While the company is focused on bitcoin, it said it may utilize its miners for other crypto assets depending on market conditions.

Stronghold uses waste coal material to power crypto mining equipment using specialized technology at the company’s power generation facility, the Scrubgrass Generating Plant, based in Venango County, Pa.

In late June, the company fundraised $105 million from two private placements of equity securities and investors were granted registration rights that require a future public listing, it said. Investors include MG Capital, a number of family offices and Greg Beard, the company’s co-chairman and CEO, Blockworks previously reported

Stronghold currently operates about 3,000 crypto-asset mining computers with hashrate capacity of about 100 petahash. As of April 1, the company entered into definitive agreements with suppliers to purchase an additional 27,300 miners for a total hash capacity equal to over 2,600 petahash.

About 92% of those miners are scheduled to be delivered in 2021 and it anticipates its total hashrate capacity to be approximately 3,000 petahash by the end of the year. The remaining 8% of miners will be delivered throughout 2022, and will increase the petahash 76.67% to 5,300 petahash year-on-year by December 2022, it said.

Tags

Upcoming Events

Hilton Metropole | 225 Edgware Rd, London

Mon - Wed, March 18 - 20, 2024

Crypto’s premier institutional conference returns to London in March 2024. The DAS: London Experience: Attend expert-led panel discussions and fireside chats Hear the latest developments regarding the crypto and digital asset regulatory environment directly from policymakers and experts.

Salt Lake City, UT

WED - FRI, OCTOBER 9 - 11, 2024

Pack your bags, anon — we’re heading west! Join us in the beautiful Salt Lake City for the third installment of Permissionless. Come for the alpha, stay for the fresh air. Permissionless III promises unforgettable panels, killer networking opportunities, and mountains […]

recent research

Research report - cover graphics (1).jpg

Research

In this report, we dive into crypto private market data to gather insights on where the future of the industry is headed. Despite a notable downturn in private raises, capital continues to infuse promising projects that aim to transform payments, banking, consumer experiences, community, and more, with 2023 being the fourth-largest year for crypto venture capital.

article-image

BUZZ holds shares of Coinbase, Robinhood and MicroStrategy

article-image

Opinion: Even though I didn’t pay for my “Diamond Hands” burger with BTC, don’t let that fool you into thinking that crypto’s development is futile

article-image

The results mark “a major positive inflection point,” one analyst says, as the exchange carries net income momentum into a crypto rally

article-image

While the slate of 10 US spot bitcoin funds have tallied $4.6 billion of net inflows thus far, half of the field is lagging the leaders

article-image

Trading volumes totalled $154 billion in Q4, including $125 billion in institutional volume

article-image

DeFi on Bitcoin is all the rage right now and Stacks is positioned to benefit